I love pasta… delicious, easy, and cheap (the Poormet trio).
It should be a staple in my diet, but it is not. I am constantly finding myself on the edge of being overweight, so I try and avoid these types of meals 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, I eat things like this where I couldn’t care less how much bacon, Parmesan, and spaghetti I shovel in my face.
While I’ve eaten carbonara a handful of times over the years, I’ve never actually made it before so I was excited to learn what exactly was going into this to make it the creamy masterpiece that it is. Reading through a handful of recipes and concocting something that I could easily replicate on the cheap, I was a bit skeptical about the final phase. Would a couple eggs really be enough to produce a nice creamy sauce?
SPOILER ALERT: Yes, yes it is.
I did add a bit of water to this phase as America’s Test Kitchen suggests. It seems to serve a couple of purposes, it keeps the bacon from splattering as much and it also helps cook the bacon without burning the edges. I’m sure it also helps keep the garlic from burning up while the bacon finishes cooking… but that is just a guess and I could be (probably am) dead wrong.
Once the spaghetti is cooked and drained, and the bacon and garlic are done… mix’em together and toss in the egg and Parmesan cheese. You really only want to give it a quick minute on the stove at this point as you’re not looking for the egg to cook through and scramble. If done right it should produce a nice creamy sauce (which I was not completely expecting).
I was very pleased with how this all turned out. Delicious enough to make over and over again, easy enough to cook after work on a weekday, and cheap enough to fit in the budget… what more can you ask for?